Life Skills Support Staff
A Life Skills Support Staff is a direct care staff who provides fellowship and community integration support to men and women with developmental disabilities residing within the community. As part of the team providing for the overall support of individuals, the Life Skills Supports Staff will provide the necessary guidance and assistance in developing meaningful relationships with peers and other people in the community. They will also provide them with opportunity to enhance their recreational /leisure interests with the opportunity to try new things and enhance skills in areas of personal interest. The Life Skills Staff will consistently promote maximum development of each individual’s community involvement and personal growth.
RESPONSIBLE TO: Life Skills Supervisor and/or Director of Residential Services/Assistant Director of Operations
- Minimum of a high school diploma. Persons with higher education or a degree in the area of social sciences preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to relate to and communicate with persons with a developmental disability
- Awareness of the psycho-social and physical needs of people with developmental disabilities.
- Physical ability to handle the work.
- Working knowledge of basic food planning and preparation.
- Reliable vehicle and a valid driver’s license. A good driving record assuring insurability by the agency carrier and personal automobile insurance coverage as required by the agency.
- Ability to promote the concepts and philosophy of Self Determination.
- Basic computer knowledge and skills required.
- Must be willing to work evenings and occasional weekends days.
1. Assist in the planning and implementation of social opportunities that are designed to promote fellowship and community integration.
- Assist in training and supporting consumers toward improving their socialization skills and promoting community inclusion.
- Develop a supportive, trusting relationship with consumers to fill the role of friend/advocate.
- Assist people in finding areas of interest that they choose to enhance.
- Represent the agency and consumers in the community for opportunity to participate in the community in a meaningful manner.
- Provide transportation in an agency vehicle to and from the designated “Meeting Place” for those who have no other means of transportation
- Provide educational and training opportunities in areas of the people choice in learning recreational skills,